Sunday, August 26, 2012

My Story

Well, my story:It's not as exciting or eventful as the three little pigs,who were chased by a wolf and had their houses blown down...or Cinderella, who was abused by a step mother...Or Hansel and Gretel,who were abandoned out in the woods...or Goldie Locks,who was caught breaking and entering...Or David,who committed adultery and murder....Nor was it like Saul,a leader to kill all Christians. No, it is just an ordinary story starting with two people who met over Krispy Kreme doughnuts and were married in a matter of months-starting out with putting Christ first in their lives. 
     I am the first born of Don and Carol Lesley.I was brought to church in my Mom's belly,never missing a Sunday.Even as far back as I can remember,I have been in church-and by no means did that give me a first class ticket to heaven.Even at the age of three,I stood up on a table in the nursery and when the nursery worker got me down, I cussed her out so I was told..So, yeah,even then I was sinning.As I got older, I knew how to play the part of a Christian,like many of us do.....today..
       My dad became a minister when I was very young,so I grew up knowing all the ropes-How to play a Christian-and I was really good at it.I know without a doubt I disappointed my parents and I know with a doubt I disappointed God many times..I knew that He existed and that He was to be my Savior,but did not have time for Him.I know I disappointed my dad and mom,but still I was all about me.I had no time for church stuff.
        My best friends were other preacher and deacon kids(and we all know how most of them are...).Enough said about that.God had a plan for my life even before I was born.After all I had been bathed in prayer for generations: My Mom and Dad,Grandparents and Great Grandparents...And for this I am grateful.
          I dated and married a long-haired,souped-up Chevell racing kind of guy.We were happy,but something was still missing for me.We were in church every time the doors were open,and I was playing the part again.Then,I came to the realization that I was not going to hell for anyone.I did not care how it looked that I was this preacher's daughter raised in church all my life.Hey,I had even taught Bible School and Sunday School.I wanted this God,this Jesus,this Savior that I talked and read about.I wanted Him real in my life.So,I accepted him as Lord.
          I guess it wasn't enough that He saved me,but God was a bit of a jokester,because shortly thereafter,He called Ronnie into the ministry.You have to be kidding me!!!
           Hey,I grew up as a preacher's kid...I know all about churches and church folk.Sometimes they are not the nicest bunch of people.They can be down right mean.With much prayer and a lot of long talks with my now preacher husband,we accepted the call of Christ in our lives and committed to follow Him wherever He leads us.
          Again, I think God needs a laugh every now and then because the first place he sent us was in Walhalla.I think that God was telling us that if we could go there and serve, then we could serve Him anywhere. I won't go into all of the good,the bad,and ugly of pastoring...there's no time to dwell on all that...
           I just know that God is real in my life.He has given me a wonderful and God-fearing husband and Christ centered children.Two of which are married and have Godly spouses. These two are also  embarking on the adventure of raising their own children in a Christian way,so the story goes on....
          My grandparents lived for Christ and made him the main focus in their life.My parents did the same. We were soon to follow and now our children and up coming grandchildren...
My parents on their wedding day.....
                                           
Love the smiles.......They say it all..
                                           
Ronnie and I on prom night........
           And yes, even though my story is not an exciting one, it is mine and I am so grateful that God has had his pen at work writing the pages of my life.I would not change a thing, for God is the author and I am the publisher. The wonderful thing about all of this is that I know the ending..the final chapter.I may not know how it will end,but I do know where it will end.There with my God,my Jesus,family.and friends..
                   So the story goes on...and I know it will have a happy ending...........“Hear O Israel: The LORD is our God, the LORD is one.  You shall love the LORD your God with all
your heart and with all your soul and with all your might.  And these words that I command you
today are to be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them
when you sit in your house, when you walk on the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.  You
shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.”  [Deuteronomy 6:4
      

No comments:

Post a Comment